Friday, February 12, 2010

Iraq a "Great Achievement" for President Obama?

Here's a jaw-dropper for you:  according to Vice President Biden, Iraq represents a "great achievement" for President Obama.  From the transcript of the Vice President's appearance on The Larry King Show on February 10:
I am very optimistic about -- about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. You're going to see 90,000 American troops come marching home by the end of the summer. You're going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government.
I spent -- I've been there 17 times now. I go about every two months -- three months. I know every one of the major players in all of the segments of that society. It's impressed me. I've been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences.
I agree with the Vice President that the current situation in Iraq is a "great achievement" given the state of affairs on March 20, 2003, when the United States, the United Kingdom, Poland, Denmark, Austrailia and others launched the invasion of Iraq that resulted in the ouster of Sadam Hussein's tyrannical, murdering regime.  Iraq now has a democratically elected parliament and prime minister, a free press, and the beginnings of an economic system based on free enterprise.  Yes, it has been quite an achievement.

But a great achievement for President Obama?  The same man who voted against the invasion while serving in the Senate?  The same man who opposed the massively successful troop surge?



Umm, yeah.  That guy.

No comments: